Why choose Spanish at North Central College?
Bilingual candidates always appeal to employers and graduate school deans—but true global citizens stand head and shoulders above the rest. And that’s what you’ll become at North Central.
Our Spanish faculty are dedicated and diverse with rich geographical and linguistic diversity; Spain, Colombia, Uruguay and North American regions are represented. Combine that with small class sizes and our campus resources, like the Roberta I. Myers Language Resource Center, and you’ll become a fluent Spanish speaker, reader and writer. You’ll also develop a global perspective by experiencing the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world on campus, in Chicago or in an international setting. You’ll be able to choose a destination for a study abroad program in countries such as Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru or Spain.
You can also:
- Enrich your cultural understanding by participating in our three Spanish clubs and the Flamenco Festival, Latin Music Festival, Cross-Cultural Poetry Festival, Hispanic Film Festival and popular culinary workshops.
- Put your language skills to work by volunteering for ministry and service trips to countries like Colombia, Guatemala or Mexico.
- Earn an English language learning (ELL) minor if you plan to teach in the areas of ELL/Bilingual or Dual language education after college.
- Engage in study abroad opportunities during D-Term.
- Qualify for induction into Sigma Delta Pi, the Spanish honor society, or Phi Sigma Iota, open to students who study more than one language.