Why choose Japanese at North Central College?
North Central is one of the few colleges or universities in Illinois offering a Japanese major. With a full range of courses in Japanese for all four years and a vibrant Japanese study abroad program, the College offers a rigorous, distinctive experience in a small, friendly environment. You’ll study the Japanese culture while improving your reading, writing and speaking skills.
You can also:
- Study in Japan through one of our numerous exchange programs.
- Participate in cultural events and activities (like a trip to a Japanese shopping center) with the Japan Club.
- Apply for international study scholarships, including North Central’s Omron Scholarship for Study in Japan.
- Strengthen your language skills as you get to know the Japanese international students on campus.
- Earn an English language learning (ELL) minor if you hope to teach abroad after college.
- Access online audio and video resources for Japanese via the Roberta I. Myers Language Resource Center.
- Qualify for induction to the Japanese Honor Society or Phi Sigma Iota, for students who study more than one language.