Why choose elementary education at North Central College?
You’ll learn with the best of the best professors—people who demonstrate what great teaching means every day. As an elementary education major you’ll accumulate at least 180 hours of classroom field experience prior to your residency (student teaching). This additional experience will boost your teaching skills and confidence and strengthen your position in the job market. It will help you become a world-class educator who inspires young people to achieve their best. You'd be interested to know that 95 percent of North Central's 2015 education graduates looking for employment received full-time teaching positions.
You can also:
- Student-teach in a variety of settings, from high-need schools in Chicago and Aurora to nationally recognized schools in and around Naperville.
- Gain a special education endorsement through the new concentration in Learning Behavior Specialist I (LBS I).
- Connect with working teachers and administrators who enjoy mentoring the next generation of teachers.
- Study in an education department that’s fully accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education and is recognized as a model program by local partner districts.
- Receive extensive practice and guidance to prepare for the rigorous Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA).