Why choose applied mathematics at North Central College?
Applied mathematicians use techniques like mathematical modeling to solve practical problems. This major will prepare you for careers in the sciences, business, economics, finance and insurance—careers that require high-level statistical analysis and computation to solve problems, make decisions, and conduct research and analysis. Mathematical modeling can be used to predict transmission rates of diseases, streamline manufacturing, and project passenger demand to produce flight schedules for airlines. North Central’s mathematics professors develop strong relationships with their students and foster an open and encouraging learning environment throughout the department.
You can also:
- Combine majors and elective courses across various academic fields.
- Conduct research with your professors as early as your first year on campus.
- Attend local, regional and national professional conferences.
- Gain more experience by interning in the Naperville area and Chicago.
- Obtain extra help from a peer tutor—or become one yourself.
- Join the mathematics honor society Pi Mu Epsilon.