Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
Join us August 2 to learn how North Central's Master of Liberal Studies can prepare you to excel in your professional, creative and intellectual life.
A Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) will help you will become a more seasoned writer, critical thinker and change leader, while exploring topics across disciplines that suit your professional needs and intellectual curiosity. North Central’s MALS is distinguished from a master’s degree in liberal arts because it offers two specialized programs. You can choose to focus on one of the following areas:
- Writing, Editing and Publishing: A unique combination of professional and creative writing, plus editorial and management skills that prepare you to write, edit and publish in today’s wide-open writing environment.
- Culture and Society: A flexible master’s program that allows students to combine MALS courses to create a comprehensive curriculum specifically tailored to your needs and interests.
Both tracks are committed to common goals that are grounded in principles of a liberal arts education at North Central College. Each program equips you to:
- Write and communicate with grace, power and precision
- Think critically, creatively and ethically
- Combine knowledge from many disciplines to gain a more holistic view of crucial issues
- Lead in bringing social change that betters family, work and community
Small seminar courses are taught by many of the College’s most distinguished teachers and writers, who are passionate about their students’ success. All courses meet during evening hours. North Central’s ideal location—just 30 minutes west of Chicago by train and two blocks from the Naperville, Illinois train station—makes the MALS program accessible to city and suburban professionals.