Apply to the Master of Arts in Education
Master of Arts in Education Application Process
North Central College operates on a rolling admission basis in which completed applications are reviewed throughout the admission cycle. Students are advised to complete their application as early as possible to ensure timely consideration. Students can enroll four times a year: January, March, June, and September. Applications for admission should be received in the Office of Graduate Admission by the following preferred decision deadlines:
Fall 2015 Term August 5, 2015
Winter 2016 Term November 20, 2015
Spring 2016 Term February 12, 2016
Instructions for applying
To be considered for admission into either program – Curriculum & Instruction or Educational Leadership & Administration – students must possess a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university, a current teaching certificate and adequate teaching experience. Submit the following items to the Office of Graduate Admission and upload supplemental application materials here.
- Complete the online application.
- Official transcripts from every undergraduate, graduate or professional school attended. Applicants are required to have obtained a minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with a GPA below a 3.0 will be considered but must address this issue and their plans for growth and future success in their personal statement.
- A copy of your professional resume.
- A copy of current teaching license.
- A letter from your district's personnel office indicating the length of your teaching experience.
- Two essays: one is a reflection of your goals and the other tells us about your experience in team work, leadership, or problem solving. Your answers to the two essays combined should not exceed 1600 words.
- Essay 1: Why this degree, at this time in your life, and at North Central? Explain your goals in seeking this degree, reveal your understanding of the demands of graduate study, and articulate your plan to be successful in this endeavor.
- Essay 2: Answer one of the three questions below. In your response explain what led to the situation, demonstrate what you did and how you did it, detail the outcome, and include how others responded.
1. Assess an experience from within the last three years when you built or developed a team whose performance exceeded expectations.
2. Describe an experience from within the last three years when you identified a problem in an organization and attempted to solve the problem.
3. Tell about an experience from within the last three years when you went beyond what was expected of you.
For candidates applying to the Educational Leadership & Administration Program only:
- Two professional letters of recommendation. The applicant should fill out the first sheet and submit it to the Office of Graduate Admission and supply the a copy of the second page to both references.
All application materials can be sent to:
Office of Graduate Admission
North Central College
30 N. Brainard Street
Naperville, Illinois 60540
If you have any additional questions about the admissions process for either of the Masters of Arts in Education programs, please contact Wendy Pochocki at 630-637-5808 or firstname.lastname@example.org.