Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milan, Italy
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Cattolica) is the largest private university in Europe and, of all the universities in Italy, provides the most comprehensive range of research activities and courses at all levels. With more than 41,000 students across five campuses and 2,900 faculty and staff, Cattolica offers challenging academic programs in economics, business, international relations, political science, psychology and communication. At the main campus, in the iconic city of Milan, students can choose from a variety of courses taught in English while they learn basic Italian. The can also enroll in an intensive pre-semester courses in Italian language ang culture.
Internships are available
Junior or senior standing; GPA 3.0 preferred
Students earn 12-15 credits depending on courses selected. All grades earned abroad affect students North Central College GPA when transferred back. Students cannot take courses pass/fail.
Fall 2013 course offerings:
Business & Economics Courses
• Strategic Management & Entrepreneurship: the Italian Perspective
• The Italian Economy: Economic Miracle and Malaise
• Business, Government and the Global Economy
• The Political Economy of the European Integration
• The Globalization of Finance: Managing Returns and Risks
Italy in Europe & the World Courses
• The European Union in the World: a Superpower in the Making?
• International Relations and the Middle East
The Business of Artistic Excellence Courses
• History of the Italian Film Industry through Gender and Genre
• Methods of Illusion: la Mes-en-Scène from Drama to Fiction and Visual Arts
• "A Descent into Hell," Virtues and Vices in Renaissance Italian Literature from Dante to Machiavelli
• From the Renaissance to the XXI Century: the Italian Artistic Way of Representing Reality
New Trends & Communications Courses
• Total Business Communication
• Culture Industry Revisited: Role and Effects of Old and New Media on Society
• Luxury You Must Afford: Communication, Persuasion and the Made in Italy Survival Strategies
• Body, Fashion and Identity: New Spectacles and Spaces
• Coolhunting: Spotting Trends in Fashion and Cultural Consumption
• Digital Journalism and Digital Media in Italy
• Contemporary Italian Storytelling: from Literature to Cinema to other Forms of Fiction
• History and Geoeconomy - China's Economic Development
Social Sciences & Law Courses
• Work and Organizational Psychology
• Trauma and Resilience in Different Context
• Law of International Arbitration
• Applied Criminology
• Transnational Commercial Law I Module
• Transnational Commercial Law II Module
For additional information and descriptions of the courses listed above, please click here.
Note: Students must have courses pre-approved by North Central College prior to taking them abroad. If students change their course schedules while abroad, they must get this change approved. Some departments only permit students to take a certain number of courses that count toward their major abroad; by getting all courses pre-approved, this ensures that these courses will count towards their degrees.
Housing and Meals
Students live in self-catered, shared apartments or in university residence halls. Students select their housing through Milan International Living Service ("MIL Service") and receive information to do so once they have been accepted by Cattolica. For more accommodation information, please visit the MIL Service website by clicking here.
Meals: students prepare their own meals in a shared kitchen or purchase meals at discounted rates in the university cafeteria.
Photo: courtesy of Rose Gabler
Students in Direct Enrollment programs (i.e. Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore) pay North Central College tuition plus a $3,500 program fee. This fee includes placement, orientation and guidance fees, as well as standard self-catered housing. The College selects accommodations; if students choose to upgrade, they are responsible for paying any difference in cost. Unless otherwise noted, the fee does not include airfare, travel to and from airport, meals, visa fees, departure tax, books, national insurance, personal travel or spending money. North Central College financial aid does apply.