Application to Teacher Education
All the criteria listed below must be met before a student may apply and be considered for admission to the North Central College Teacher Education Program.
Criteria for Admission to the Teacher Education Program:
- Complete an application.
- Successfully complete EDN 101 with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Students with a supplemental major in Secondary Education must successfully complete a minimum of nine credit hours in their primary academic (teaching) major and EDN 200/201 with grades of "C" or higher.
- Students with a supplemental major in Secondary Education must earn a 2.5000 grade point average (GPA) in the primary major, and a 2.75 GPA overall and in the professional education courses. This includes course work from all institutions attended.
- Students majoring in Elementary Education must successfully complete a minimum of nine credit hours in the major including EDN 228/299 and 260 with grades of "C" or higher.
- Students majoring in Elementary Education must earn a 2.750 grade point average (GPA) overall, in the major, and in all the professional education courses. This includes course work from all institutions attended.
- Pass the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP 400 test) OR have proof of passing the ACT Plus Writing with a composite score of at least 22 AND you also must have scored a 19 or above on the Combined English/Writing score.
- Declare major in Elementary Education or a supplemental major in Secondary Education.
- Submit a four-year plan signed by the student's assigned advisor.
- Submit the Teacher Candidate's Dispositions at Admission form. [Here are video directions and here are printed directions for filling out and printing the form - may be sent to your download folder.]
- Submit the Faculty Assessment of Candidate's Dispositions form, printed and signed by a full-time faculty member in your major. (You must send him/her the link to this page.) [Here are video directions and here are printed directions for filling out and printing the form - may be sent to your download folder.]
- Licensure-only students must submit a copy of their transcript evaluation. Indicate date taken and passed the content area test if current major is in degree area.
Note: Grades of "C-" do not meet the minimum standard of "C" (Undergraduate Catalog)
Acceptance into the teacher education program is a prerequisite for any EDN course taken after EDN 200 (Secondary Education students) EDN 228 (Elementary Education students).
Admission to the teacher education program does not guarantee placement for student teaching.
NOTE: In order to submit an application for Residency (Student Teaching), a person must first be admitted to the Teacher Education Program. If you have not been admitted to the TEP by the time the application for Residency is due, you will have to submit a "late" application for Residency. In such an circumstance, the "four-year plan" that is submitted as part of the application to the Teacher Education Program should reflect your preferred term for Residency and must also include a "back-up term" as there is no guarantee a placement can be made if the Residency application was not received on time. The "back-up term" must meet all required time frames and deadlines.