Extra-curricular and professional activities that will enrich your East Asian studies education.
One of the most exciting features of our East Asian Studies program is that it incorporates many opportunities to develop the kind of practical experience that will help you succeed in careers that involve a focus on this region of the world.
Our Chinese and Japanese language programs, broad range of courses on East Asia, and study abroad programs throughout the region will give you the language skills and cultural understanding to build a solid foundation for your future.
Language study is further supported by
- weekly language tables, where faculty and students meet to practice conversational Chinese and Japanese in informal settings
- student organizations, such as the Japan Club, Asian Student Konnection, the Anime Club, and the International Club
- the opportunity to start your own organization
- field trips to places like the Mitsuwa Shopping Mall in Arlington Heights, the Art Institute of Chicago, or Chicago’s Chinatown (for Chinese New Years festivities)
- Richter Independent Study Fellowships, which provides qualified North Central College students with grants of up to $5000 to fund individualized research projects, including the cost of overseas travel and living expenses
Wherever your interests lie, we’ll help you get there!