Director of Transfer Admission
Jul. 11, 2013
North Central College would like to take this opportunity to announce that applications are now being accepted for the full-time, exempt position of Director of Transfer Admission. This Director will oversee transfer student recruitment functions and coordinate related activities.
- Set a strategic vision for transfer admission in collaboration with the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid, including size and composition of class, academic achievements, net revenue and other factors. Develop a strategic plan to accomplish this vision.
- Develop, in conjunction with the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid and Assistant Vice President for External Affairs, a marketing plan for transfer students. Assist with the development of marketing strategies intended to maximize the effectiveness of the process of recruiting transfer students. Oversee the production and distribution of admission-related communication directed at potential transfer students. Prepare and arrange for placement of advertisements in community college newspapers. Prepare reports, perform analyses, and complete surveys regarding transfer-related admission activities and results.
- Assist the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid in making decisions regarding all areas of transfer admission, particularly in setting guidelines regarding which applicants will be candidates for admission. Make final decisions as to which applicants, including re-admits, will be accepted for admission. Implement and oversee all policies and procedures related to transfer admission decisions.
- Hire, train, develop, motivate, evaluate, and promote transfer counselors. Create professional development plans with and for each counselor, assigning responsibilities over and above recruiting taking into consideration their job description, interests and the needs of the department. Coordinate the search and selection process for new transfer staff members. Assist in supervising assigned student workers who perform such functions as phoning prospective students, serving as tour guides and assisting in the preparation of mailings. Assist in the selection and scheduling of these workers, provide necessary training, monitor their work and provide appropriate assistance.
- Assign territories to transfer admission counselors and insure proper record keeping and regular reporting within each territory. Set realistic annual goals and reach or exceed them in accordance with the direction set by the institution’s strategic plan. Develop specific strategies which encourage and motivate staff to reach these goals.
- Direct the planning and implementation of admission-related events such as visit days, calling nights and community college counselor visits. Develop, supervise and monitor the work assigned to staff for admission special events.
- Use Ellucian (Datatel), the Web, e-mail, Microsoft Office and other forms of technology to maximize the recruitment process; utilize computer applications to increase the efficiency of office procedures. Develop effective electronic communication processes with prospects, applicants and admitted students.
- In collaboration with the Dean of Admission and Director of Financial Aid, play a central role in financial aid policy decisions. Develop a plan for the communication of transfer financial aid estimates and final awards. Make transfer scholarship decisions according to College guidelines. Monitor financial aid adjustments and overall aid expenditures for transfer students.
- Develop a comprehensive recruitment plan for community college students, who may be qualified and interested in transferring to North Central College. Sources for contacts include responses to mailings and advertisements, referrals from alumni and others, personal contacts made at community college visits and college fairs, inquiries from individuals, and other sources. Ensure that contact is established and, where appropriate, maintained with these people by personally phoning and corresponding by mail with them and/or seeing that assigned student workers accomplish this task, and by meeting with them personally in a variety of settings. Provide information about the College and counsel and advise students, including performing unofficial transcript evaluations, in order to assist them in making a decision and, where appropriate, guide them through the processes of applying for admission and for financial aid.
- Develop a plan that encourages and positively impacts interested prospective transfer students to visit the campus, either individually or in order to attend information sessions/open houses. Direct the planning, promotion and implementation of on-campus information sessions/open houses for transfer students.
- Visit community colleges to periodically meet with counselors and advisors in order to keep them informed of North Central College's activities and programs. Participate in articulation meetings with community college personnel.
- Oversee the effective implementation and use of articulation initiatives. Serve as the College’s primary contact for the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI). Ensure that course substitution guides are effectively managed and remain current.
- Remain up to date on issues impacting non-traditionally aged students and how those issues may relate to the recruitment of transfer students. Coordinate the recruiting of specific target populations such as student-veterans. Work to ensure that North Central College is viewed as the “school of choice” for these students.
- Serve on the admission leadership team. Additionally, represent the Office of Admission on committees and/or other groups in support of North Central College.
- Collaborate with other admission areas (Freshman, Graduate and Continuing Education) as well as other campus departments (advising, student affairs, financial aid, athletics, international programs, and faculty) on special programs, events, and policies and procedures which have an impact on student enrollment. Assist in planning and implementing new student orientation programs.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- At least five years of experience working in college admission is required. Experience with transfer students is preferred.
- A valid Illinois driver's license is required.
Application Deadline: July 18, 2013
This is only a brief description of the position.
If you meet the above qualifications and wish to be considered a candidate for this position, please submit your materials electronically, including a letter of interest, resume, and names and telephone numbers of three professional references, by using our online application. You may also submit the above application materials to:
North Central College, Office of Human Resources, 30 N. Brainard St., Naperville, IL 60540
Or via Fax: 630-637-5755
Or via E-Mail: email@example.com