Secretary, Offices of Residence Life and Campus Safety
Jun. 17, 2013
North Central College would like to take this opportunity to announce that applications are now being accepted for the full-time, non-exempt position of Secretary, Offices of Residence Life and Campus Safety. This Secretary will assist the Offices of Residence Life and Campus Safety and will provide support services regarding office procedures and functions.
- Initiate and provide development/guidance of office procedures and protocol to ensure successful functioning of Offices of Residence Life and Campus Safety.
- Supervise student workers for both the office of Residence Life and Campus Safety who perform such tasks as typing/word processing, copying, filing, Datatel entry, distribution of parking permits and answering phones. Participate in their selection, training, scheduling, evaluation, and general supervision.
- Provide secretarial and related support to the Assistant Dean of Students, the Director of Campus Safety, the Executive Director of Urban Education Laboratory, the Assistant Directors of Residence Life, the Assistant Director of Campus Safety, the Assistant to the Director of Campus Safety for Parking and Transportation, and the Residence Life professional live-in staff (Area Hall Directors and Graduate Assistants) as necessary. Support is directed by the Assistant Dean of Students and the Director of Campus Safety.
- Create and maintain files and correspondence, both hard copy and computer-based. Draft brief notification letters to students and parents as directed by the Assistant Dean of Students, Director of Campus Safety, the Executive Director of Urban Education Laboratory, Assistant Directors of Residence Life, the Assistant Director of Campus Safety, or the Assistant to the Director of Campus Safety for Parking and Transportation. Complete print orders, check requests, expense reports, copier reports, purchase orders, maintenance requests, duty and incident report log filing, arrange for distribution of incoming mail, and process outgoing mail.
- Ensure that office supply inventories are maintained using the College purchasing system as appropriate, and that equipment – including copy machines and printers –are properly maintained. Arrange service calls for student laundry machines.
- Assist with room selection, room assignments, and room change processes. Enter assignments and changes into computer as instructed by the Assistant Dean of Students or the Assistant Directors of Residence Life. Maintain residence hall records (i.e. closing and end of year records, summer information, D-term information, etc.).
- Utilize the College’s programs (i.e. Datatel, Informer, Merlin, etc.) to perform office-related functions. Construct reports, updates, etc. and maintain summary reports when called upon. In addition, assist with the training of new and continuing staff in the areas of office procedures and the appropriate use of the College’s systems.
- Perform account management duties for the Offices of Residence Life, Campus Safety, and the Urban Education Laboratory, as well as for students. Process charges to students for room and/or hall damages. Process pro-rates or liquidation charges. Assist the Assistant Dean of Students, the Director of Campus Safety and the Executive Director of Urban Education Laboratory in managing and maintaining appropriate office accounts (i.e. filing spending reports and receipts, summarizing vending income, etc.).
- Assist all departmental leaders with various administrative duties. Provide research and statistics for reports and strategic planning to assist the Assistant Dean of Students, the Director of Campus Safety, the Executive Director of Urban Education Laboratory, Assistant Directors of Residence Life, the Assistant Director of Campus Safety, and/or the Assistant to the Director of Campus Safety for Parking and Transportation. Reserve rooms for meetings, programs, and various activities. Assist with designing, assembling, preparing and disseminating information and publications to be used for brochures, contracts, residence hall notices, campus-wide memos, etc., for the Office of Residence Life and Campus Safety. Assist with preparing, distributing, collecting and maintaining contracts for the Office of Residence Life and Campus Safety.
- Perform other related duties and tasks which contribute to the effective operation of all departments, student affairs, and the operation of the College in general.
- Participate in the development of systems and procedures, which contribute to the efficient operation of the office, while maintaining confidentiality.
- A high school diploma is required.
- Some college or community college-level training is preferred.
- At least one year of experience in an office environment, particularly where dealing directly with the public is involved.
- Experience in an academic setting, ideally at a college or university is desired.
Application Deadline: July 5, 2013
This is only a brief description of the position.
If you meet the above qualifications and wish to be considered a candidate for this position, please submit your materials electronically, including a letter of interest, resume, and names and telephone numbers of three professional references, by using our online application. You may also submit the above application materials to:
North Central College, Office of Human Resources, 30 N. Brainard St., Naperville, IL 60540
Or via Fax: 630-637-5755
Or via E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org