General Maintenance/HVAC-Assistant Laborer
May. 14, 2013
North Central College would like to take this opportunity to announce that applications are now being accepted for the full-time, non-exempt position of General Maintenance/HVAC-Assistant Laborer. General Maintenance/HVAC-Assistant Laborer will ensure that assigned buildings, including furnishings and mechanical and electrical systems therein, are functional on a continual basis. Individuals in this position may be required to work at times that are other than, or in addition to, normal hours and days, including responding at any time to severe weather and other emergency conditions. Also, individuals in this position can expect to be "on-call" during nights and weekends for specified periods (presently one week at a time, every eighth week); individuals must be available by personal pager and/or telephone during these times.
- Inspect the exterior and appropriate interior areas of assigned buildings on a regular basis. Identify, prioritize and perform or report necessary maintenance activities. Promptly report safely and security concerns.
- Maintain regular contact with sources of work assignments (i.e., supervisor, clerk, assignment board) so that necessary activities are carried out in a timely fashion. Promptly report on completion of activities.
- Knowledge and ability to perform preventative maintenance, adjust, repair, and replace the following items: B&G pumps, hot water/steam boilers and associated controls, various hot water heaters and controls, A.C. and refrigeration units including: fan coil units, air handlers-belts, pulleys and drives, exhaust and intake fans, sump pumps, condensation pumps and lift station pumps, all type electric motors, belt/air filter changes, roof top units, various building controls, single and three phase electric, electric voltage’s ranging from 24V to 480 Volt A.C., electrical switch gear, motor starters and contractors.
- Service, adjust, repair, and replace building components, systems and furnishings, based on observed needs, work orders, preventive maintenance schedules, or other sources. Examples of typical activities are: repair or replace electrical fixtures and/or associated wiring; replace burned-out or broken light bulbs and tubes (interior and exterior); repair worn or damaged walls, floors, doors (including hardware) and windows (including blinds); repair damaged or malfunctioning washroom fixtures and associated piping; service and repair fire protection systems and seal leaks. Report the need for more extensive work by others, including outside contractors, to immediate supervisor.
- Maintain building access/egress areas - i.e., sidewalks, stairways - in a serviceable condition by removing debris and snow and ice.
- Carry out projects, which involve installations, renovations, remodeling, etc., as directed by supervisor, either individually or as part of a group.
- Coordinate all activities with building users and contractors (i.e., food service, cleaning services) so as to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to building activities.
- May be assigned to temporarily work at other locations to substitute for personnel not available or to supplement personnel during times of unusually heavy workload.
- May be assigned to act in place of immediate supervisor during his/her absence, including the assumption of responsibility for that person's duties and tasks.
- Perform other job-related duties and tasks as appropriately assigned.
- A high school diploma is required.
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in building maintenance is preferred (specifically HVAC).
- A valid driver's license is required.
- EPA Refrigerant Certification is required.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
This is only a brief description of the position.
If you meet the above qualifications and wish to be considered a candidate for this position, please submit your materials electronically, including a letter of interest, resume, and names and telephone numbers of three professional references, by using our online application. You may also submit the above application materials to:
North Central College, Office of Human Resources, 30 N. Brainard St., Naperville, IL 60540
Or via Fax: 630-637-5755
Or via E-Mail: email@example.com