Life Sciences Laboratory Manager
Apr. 26, 2013
North Central College would like to take this opportunity to announce that applications are now being accepted for the full-time, exempt position of Life Sciences Laboratory Manager. The Life Sciences Laboratory Manager will provide support for the laboratory teaching and research activities of the biology department and the neuroscience program.
- Prepare and set up or supervise preparation and set-up of materials for laboratory courses, including reagents, growth media and sterile materials, fixed tissue, equipment, glassware and supplies. Take down materials and clean up following lab sessions (or supervise these activities). Maintain written supply and set-up lists, recipes, guidelines and notes for each lab.
- Maintain departmental equipment. Perform routine cleaning and maintenance on microscopes, balances, spectrophotometers, micropipettors, and other departmental equipment. Perform minor repairs or contact service personnel and coordinate major repairs when necessary. Coordinate routine service for microscopes, balances, cryostat and other equipment.
- Manage and maintain materials and supplies. Keep an inventory of chemicals, coordinating with the Chemical Hygiene Officer. Maintain stocks of chemicals, consumables, glassware, etc., including ordering of needed materials. Keep glassware clean and organize storage of materials
- Supervise student lab assistants. Coordinate hiring and time cards for student laboratory assistants. Train and supervise student laboratory assistants.
- Assist in managing the department’s budget and faculty grant budgets. Place orders for departmental supplies or for faculty research supplies. Receive incoming orders and maintain records of standard supplies, materials and chemicals and where they should be obtained. Maintain relationships with vendor representatives and seek favorable pricing agreements. Assist faculty in keeping track of grant spending, coordinating with the Business Office.
- Assist the college’s Chemical Hygiene Officer in ensuring safe storage of chemicals and other materials and compliance with North Central’s chemical hygiene plan and applicable regulations; assist in proper collection and disposal of chemical waste.
- Coordinate care of vertebrate animals housed in the department and maintenance of animal quarters; ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Assist in securing hazardous materials, valuable items and the laboratory environment in general.
- Assist in coordination of field trips or field research, including transportation and any needed permits.
- Assist faculty in developing or testing new laboratory exercises.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological science (e.g., biology, botany, zoology, microbiology, biochemistry).
- Minimum of one year experience in laboratory procedures, including preparation of reagents and growth media.
- Experience with laboratory instrumentation and equipment required.
- Experience with animal care desirable.
Application deadline: Open until filled
This is only a brief description of the position.
If you meet the above qualifications and wish to be considered a candidate for this position, please submit your materials electronically, including a letter of interest, resume, and names and telephone numbers of three professional references, by using our online application. You may also submit the above application materials to:
North Central College, Office of Human Resources, 30 N. Brainard St., Naperville, IL 60540
Or via Fax: 630-637-5755
Or via E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org