Assistant Director of Student Involvement
Apr. 19, 2013
North Central College would like to take this opportunity to announce that applications are now being accepted for the full-time, exempt position of Assistant Director of Student Involvement. The Assistant Director of Student Involvement will direct and provide quality programs, events and activities for students with the goal of improving student retention and enriching the social and intellectual lives of students in a way that contributes to their personal development.
- Direct the planning and implementation of a comprehensive, year-long program of student activities (highlighted by extensive weekend programming) which meets the social needs of a diverse student population and which contributes to growth and development of students. Provide an aggressive events calendar during each term including December Term. Work closely with residence life, campus ministry, fine arts, and athletics to coordinate opportunities for student involvement. Generate and market avenues for students, faculty and staff members and student groups to become actively involved in student events and activities.
- Select, advise and develop the College Union Activities Board (CUAB) and oversee the group’s programs and events. Assist CUAB in leading the evening and weekend program initiative. Develop a plan for the marketing of this initiative. Create a process for the selection, training and development of student leaders within CUAB. Negotiate and process contracts for outside presenters and entertainers that address appropriate risk management issues.
- Coordinate and execute large-scale annual events including Homecoming week activities and Springfest.
- Oversee the hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of students to operate the Harold and Eva White Activities Center. This includes assisting callers and visitors by providing information about scheduled events and other subjects; issuing tickets to events, collecting fees where appropriate; providing sign-up sheets for participation in events; collecting and distributing internal mail; directing callers and visitors to others; recording and forwarding messages; maintaining a professional and orderly office environment; dispatching students to assist with building set up; and recording and forwarding messages. Ensure that relevant displays, signage, and publication racks are keep orderly, up to date, and supplied.
- Provide leadership, programming and support for the commuter student population. Coordinate the services offered to commuter students and develop programs to meet the needs of commuter students. Facilitate the assessment of needs, satisfaction and outcomes, and supervise the creation of publications and marketing materials. Provide support and assistance to the advisor for the commuter student organization.
- Ensure that the WAC Weekends program is effectively staffed, marketed, and responsive to student feedback. Serve as an advocate for students with regard to evening and weekend hours of operation for campus facilities.
- Provide guidance to student organizations on campus. Coordinate the student organization registration and re-registration process for approximately 65 student organizations. Communicate with student organizations concerning policy information, budgeting, and leadership development. Provide administrative advising and event coordination assistance for the 65+ student organizations as needed. Ensure student organization events are properly staffed, resourced, and administered.
- Work with the Director of Student Involvement to train and support student organization advisors and to create a leadership training program for student organization officers. Ensure specific attention is paid to training student leaders and advisors on and about risk management and guarantee student organization events are properly registered, staffed, resourced, and administered.
- Oversee the Student Involvement pages for both the website and Cardinal Net ensuring accuracy, accessibility, and usefulness of information presented electronically. Develop innovative mechanisms for communicating with students and the campus community regarding involvement opportunities and events.
- Facilitate the record-keeping of student organization membership to be utilized with the student involvement plan program.
- Maintain the online calendar that facilitates the scheduling of Activities Center spaces. Work with the sponsoring department, organization, or agency to determine the appropriate configuration of furniture and equipment for each event. Relay this information to the necessary set-up crews. Coordinate catering with the food service vendor.
- Supervise the work of a graduate assistant as assigned.
- Assist the Director of Student Involvement with the execution of large-scale events and programs including orientation and family weekend.
- Maintain a cooperative relationship with various offices including, but not limited to, athletics, admissions, alumni/development, residence life and the other offices in student affairs.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by either the Director of Student Involvement, Dean of Students or Vice President of Enrollment Management, Athletics and Student Affairs.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree in student personnel/higher education or a related area from an accredited institution preferred.
- At least one year of experience in student activities and/or an office environment particularly where dealing directly with students or the public is involved, is preferred.
- Experience in event planning and in working with diverse student population is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license is preferred.
Application Deadline: No longer accepting applications
This is only a brief description of the position.
If you meet the above qualifications and wish to be considered a candidate for this position, please submit your materials electronically, including a letter of interest, resume, and names and telephone numbers of three professional references, by using our online application. You may also submit the above application materials to:
North Central College, Office of Human Resources, 30 N. Brainard St., Naperville, IL 60540
Or via Fax: 630-637-5755
Or via E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org