On Sept. 15, the Illinois Broadcasters Association announced North Central’s student-run radio station WONC-FM 89.1 had received five nominations for the 2010 Student Silver Dome Awards. This competition is open to all colleges and universities in Illinois with radio and TV facilities. Winners will be named Oct. 8 at the Student Silver Dome Awards Banquet at Illinois State University.
WONC’s five nominations include:
- Best Radio Newscast. “Headline News” on 5/21/10 at 11:55 a.m. by Michelle Corless ’10, Chris Ackerman ’12, Whitney Goodbred ’13, Jill Howard ’10, Justin Zipser ’10
- Best Radio Newscast. “Headline News” on 5/21/10 at 10:55 a.m. by Corless, Zipser, Angela Hager ’10, Ryan Piers ’11, Rachel Worsley ’10
- Best Radio News Story. “Evan Lysacek Day” by Corless
- Best Radio Live Game Sports. “Cardinals vs. Carthage Redmen” by Piers and Zipser
- Best Radio Sports Story. “D.J. Twyman: The Artist and Athlete” by Piers
Later on Sept. 16, the College Broadcasters Inc. (CBI) announced WONC had received two nominations for the 2010 CBI Student Production Awards, a contest open to college and university radio and TV stations nationwide. Winners will be announced Oct. 30 in Louisville, Ky. Those nominations are:
- Best Documentary. “Religion in an increasingly secular America” by Ryan Piers ’11, competing against Samford University, American University (Cairo) and Columbia College.
- Best News Reporting. “Evan Lysacek Day” by Michelle Corless ’10, competing against Marshall University, American University (Cairo) and Savannah College.