[caption id="attachment_169" align="alignleft" width="160" caption="1985, Seager Hall"][/caption]
On display in the lobby of Oesterle Library is the fall Archives exhibit, featuring the variety of buildings dedicated to student housing, from Old Main’s tower to the new Residence Hall/Recreation Center (Res/Rec Center).
In 1870 when the College moved to Naperville, students lived in Old Main. However, the need for additional space for classrooms, offices and student activities outweighed housing needs and students lived with boarding clubs or rented rooms in homes of professors and local residents.
In the mid 1920s, the College purchased two homes on Chicago Avenue, the Bolton and Johnson Halls, and refurbished them to house female students. Next door, the College built the first residence hall, Kaufman Hall, in 1928. After World War II, from 1955 to 1963, the College built additional halls two blocks east of Old Main on the sites of houses purchased in 1920s. Those buildings were Seager, Geiger and Rall Halls.
Recent additions have included Patterson and Ward Halls, the Townhomes and the newest, the Res/Rec Center.