“The Vagina Monologues” will be performed at 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday, April 20-21, in Heininger Auditorium at the Larrance Academic Center. Tickets are $5/adults and $3/students.
This award-winning play is based on V-Day founder/playwright Eve Ensler’s interviews with more than 200 women. With humor and grace the piece celebrates women’s sexuality and strength. Ensler’s experience performing “The Vagina Monologues” inspired her to create V-Day, a global movement to stop violence against women and girls.
Directors of the show include seniors Liz Hasseld and Ross McIntire and juniors Jill Laumbacher and Hywel Griffith. Actors feature seniors Lacey Watson, Courtney Ohler and Andrea Hehn; juniors Gloria Barnum, Cassie Balaskas, Jill Brunner and Jessica Martin; sophomores Jessica Coffey, Emilia Benassi, Jessica Gallo, Savanna Richardson, Rosa Reinemann, Carlee Fields, Bethany Schick and Kathleen Fultz; and freshmen Jesek West, Niyah Banks, Amanda Peck and Sarah Schoonhoven.
From the event proceeds, 90 percent will go to Porchlight Counseling Services, a nonprofit organization providing free, quality counseling to college sexual assault survivors in the Chicago area. The remaining 10 percent goes to the Vagina Monologues’ focus charity of building safe houses for women in Haiti. This is the second charity fundraiser organized this year by the NCC Atheist, Agnostic and Humanist Society, which is continuing to raise money for the Ubuntu Academy, a school in the eastern Democratic Republic Congo.