Why choose mathematics at North Central College?
You’ll receive all the help, advice and personal attention you need, thanks to our accessible professors and small classes. North Central’s math faculty members are committed to involving you in their research projects, so you’ll also get valuable firsthand experiences. Our pure mathematics major is renowned for preparing high school and middle school math teachers and for maintaining an extensive network of school contacts that can lead to valuable practicums, student-teaching opportunities and career placements. Other math majors go on to graduate school to prepare for a career in higher education, teaching and research.
You can also:
- Collaborate with your professors on research projects that explore topics like knot theory or mathematical modeling of disease transmission.
- Attend local, regional and national academic conferences.
- Participate in campus activities like Math Club and the Pi Day Celebration with alumni.
- Enroll in a problem-solving seminar that prepares you for competitions like the Putnam Exam.
- Obtain extra help from a peer tutor—or become one yourself.
- Join the mathematics honor society Pi Mu Epsilon.
To learn more about experiences and opportunities here at North Central College as a mathematics major, click here.