Why choose French at North Central College?
Adding another language to your skill set is a great way to prepare for international business, graduate work or world travel—and a great way to wow potential employers. Include a secondary education major in your studies and you’ll also be equipped to teach French to K-12 students. At North Central we keep our classes small to ensure that you receive all the personalized help and attention you'll need. After completing a placement test you’ll meet with your advisor to make sure you begin your studies at the level that’s best for you.
You can also:
- Use short-term learning opportunities to conduct research through a Richter Independent Study Fellowship grant or D-Term travel to French-speaking areas.
- Expand your linguistic and cultural proficiencies by studying abroad for a term through one of our exchange programs in either Angers or Avignon, France.
- Participate in the French Club and the annual Modern and Classical Languages Festival.
- Travel to countries like Haiti to volunteer for ministry and service.
- Take advantage of the Roberta I. Myers Language Resource Center for one-on-one tutoring or audio and video support.
- Earn an English language learning (ELL) minor to qualify to teach English abroad in a French-speaking country or teach ESL in Illinois schools.
- Qualify for induction to Pi Delta Phi, the International French Honor Society, or Phi Sigma Iota, for students studying more than one language.