Why choose French at North Central College?
Adding another language to your skill set is a great way to prepare for international business, graduate work or world travel—and a great way to wow potential employers. Include a secondary education minor in your studies and you’ll also be equipped to teach high school French. At North Central we keep our classes small to ensure that you receive all the personalized help and attention you'll need. After completing a placement test you’ll meet with your advisor to make sure you begin your studies at the level that’s best for you.
You can also:
- Use short-term learning opportunities to conduct research through a Richter Independent Study Fellowship grant or D-Term travel to French-speaking areas.
- Expand your linguistic and cultural proficiencies by studying abroad for a term through one of our exchange programs in either Angers or Avignon, France.
- Participate in the French Club and the annual Modern and Classical Languages Festival.
- Travel to countries like Haiti to volunteer for ministry and service.
- Take advantage of the Roberta I. Myers Language Resource Center for one-on-one tutoring or audio and video support.
- Earn an English language learning (ELL) minor to qualify to teach English abroad in a French-speaking country.
- Qualify for induction to Pi Delta Phi, the International French Honor Society, or Phi Sigma Iota, for students studying more than one language.