Why choose biochemistry at North Central College?
In our investigative, interdisciplinary biochemistry program, you will gain a strong foundation in both biology and chemistry. You’ll prepare for a future in molecular life science, learn valuable techniques and use cutting-edge instruments as you explore how DNA and proteins interact to make up living cells. Original research with faculty mentors is a key component of the major; you'll present your work in our seminar series and may be able to share your findings at a national conference or in a publication. Our graduates go on to top-ranked graduate and medical schools and to jobs with industry-leading employers.
You can also:
- Study current biomedical research and research ethics in our capstone course.
- Apply for our funded summer research program.
- Work with a dedicated pre-health advisor and the Pre-Health Organization student organization.
- Join the Beta Beta Beta biological honor society or the student members of the American Chemical Society chemistry student group.
- Minor in bioinformatics, neuroscience or environmental studies.
- Participate in our annual research symposium.
- Study abroad in a science-specific program in England or Scotland.