Lawrence Hoover Seager1911-1916, Fourth President
Lawrence Hoover Seager was born in Fremont, Ohio, in 1860. He graduated from Ohio Northern University in 1886.
He then enrolled at North-Western College, where he received a bachelor of science degree in 1887 before entering the Union Biblical Institute and graduating the following year.
Seager served as a minister in various Ohio congregations, then in 1901 was elected editor of the Evangelical Herald, a position he was still holding when he was asked to serve as president of North-Western College in 1911.
During his tenure, the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges accredited the College, a separate building was constructed for the seminary, and the College acquired six acres of land north of the railroad and west of Washington Street for an athletic field with the help of Judge John S. Goodwin.
Seager’s tenure at the College lasted but five years; he resigned the position in 1916 following his election as bishop of the church. On leaving North-Western, Seager noted: “Our reception was most cordial and our relations with townsmen, faculty and students such as to make it a blessed memory. We had the pleasure of noting constant growth in both faculty and student body. Ours was the joy of reaping what others had sown.”
Seager served as bishop of the Evangelical Church until 1934. He died in 1937 and was buried in Naperville Cemetery. President E.E. Rall, reflecting on his predecessor’s career, noted, “As a man he was beloved by all with whom he came in contact. He will always be remembered as a loyal alumnus of the College, a wise administrator, a sympathetic counselor of students and an outstanding leader of his church.”