North Central College - Naperville, IL

Accommodated Housing

North Central College students living on campus are provided with all of the accommodations afforded by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. If a student has a disability that falls under the definition of the ADA*, the student will be granted reasonable accommodations in student housing. These accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis according to documented need, prevailing standards for reasonable accommodations, and available housing options. The following procedures have been established to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to North Central College’s housing resources.

*A student with a disability is defined as having a physical or psychological condition that substantially limits one or more major life activities, having a record of such a condition or is regarded by the covered entity as having a disability.

Accommodated Housing Procedures:

1. General procedures for housing, including relevant applications and deposits, should be followed. Students must be eligible for College housing in order to be eligible for housing accommodations, including full-time enrollment.

2. A completed Housing Accommodation Request Form must be submitted. Please make sure a  licensed professional completes and signs the provider portion of the form. Incomplete applications may not be considered.

3. Housing accommodations are approved only for appropriately documented disabilities and/or medical issues that substantially limit or compromise the residential experience at the College. Therefore, the College requires adequate documentation of the disability and its projected impact on the residential experience.

4. Requests for residential accommodations will be reviewed by the staff from the Academic Support Center, Office of Residence Life, and the Dyson Wellness Center. Students are informed of the status of their request by the Office of Residence Life.

5. All requests for disability housing accommodations, along with all of the required documentation and forms referenced above, must be submitted to the Academic Support Center by the following dates:

1. Fall term: May 1st
2. Winter term: October 15th
3. Spring term: January 15th

Please note that the submission of a housing accommodation packet does not guarantee availability of housing. Although, accommodated housing is limited at North Central College, the College will strive to find the most appropriate housing for students with accommodation needs.

While applications submitted after these dates will be accepted and considered, North Central College does not guarantee a late applicants’ accommodation needs, including any needs that develop during the semester. Accommodated housing requests for winter and spring terms are more limited than fall term requests.

6. After a completed housing accommodation application has been received, the Office of Residence Life may contact a student for additional information. The Office of Residence Life may also invite a student to view and access potential room options.

7. Students who have been approved for specific housing accommodations by the Office of Residence Life may not be eligible to participate in the Room Selection process and may, instead, receive a housing assignment in order to meet individual needs. 

8. The College does not “hold” accommodated rooms when students leave the College. If a student with an accommodated room is not able to attend school for a period of time, a new request must be put forth to the Office of Residence Life prior to returning to the College.

9. As a returning student, if you would like your accommodations to be reconsidered, a new Housing Accommodation Request Form may need to be completed. The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to ask for additional documentation if the reasons for accommodations have changed.

10. If a student is not granted housing accommodations though this process, the student may appeal the decision, in writing, to the Dean of Students.


Housing Accommodation Request Packet