North Central College - Naperville, IL

Sherry Henderson

Class Year: 
1967

Alumni Recognition Award Winner 1984

Dr. Sherry Henderson was a physician and retired Captain for Medical Corps in the United States Navy.

After 20 years of service, Dr. Henderson retired from the Navy in 1993 and took one year off to study and travel. Her passion for college health services was rekindled during that time, and, in November 1994, Dr. Henderson embarked upon her second career, working for six years as a full-time clinician at Student Health Services for San Diego State University. She considered her position at San Diego the happiest and most fulfilling of all her medical experiences.


Herbert Heilman

Class Year: 
1938

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1969

Herb Heilman’s career as assistant director of athletics, head football coach and head baseball coach at North Central College, although brief, is a proud chapter in the College’s history. During two seasons, he led his 1946 and 1947 football teams to College Conference of Illinois championships. The 1947 squad is still the only North Central football team ever to appear in a post-season competition playing in the Corn Bowl. Both football teams included experienced veterans from World War II and young men fresh out of high school. It was Coach Heilman who molded the diverse crew together into championship teams.

Deceased.


Lawrence A. Gregory

Class Year: 
1951

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1977

Lawrence Gregory, now a Life Trustee of North Central College, has been involved with every major capital improvement on campus in the last three decades. In 1975, he led a team of volunteers that installed lights on Kroehler Field. In 1976, he assumed a leadership role in the renovation of North Central’s outdoor athletic facilities, a project named the “$18,000 Miracle in Naperville” by the Chicago Tribune. In 1977, Gregory became a trustee and North Central honored him and his wife Char, in 1987 with the dedication of Gregory Arena in Merner Field House in gratitude for their generosity to the College. A successful entrepreneur, Gregory founded Gregory Electric, Inc., in 1954, and built it into a leading electrical contractor in the city. Over the years, Gregory was honored for his contributions to the City of Naperville by the Naperville Riverwalk and Safety Town, and in 1993, the College awarded him the Gael D. Swing Award for Meritorious Service.

Deceased.


Grant V. Graver

Class Year: 
1938

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1986

Rev. Grant Graver was the senior pastor at Grace United Methodist Church for 18 years. He retired in 1981. During his tenure, the Church’s membership rose from 600 to 1,900. Rev. Graver was instrumental in moving Grace U.M.C. from its landlocked, downtown location to its current 14-acre site on Garner Road. Graver was also active in several Naperville civic groups and organizations. He was one of the first members of the Naperville police chaplaincy program, the Boy Scouts citizenship program, the Naperville Rotary Club and he also served on the College’s Alumni Board.

Deceased.


W. Lloyd Graunke

Class Year: 
1940

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1973

W. Lloyd Graunke was appointed superintendent of the Tennessee School for the Deaf in 1957. Graunke was a member of several national speech and hearing associations. He was associate editor of “American Annals of the Deaf” and was a lecturer and consultant at many universities and public schools. Graunke received his B.A. from North Central College in 1940, his M.S. from Gallaudet College in 1940, his M.S. from Gallaudet College in 1942 and a Ph.D. from Northwestern University in 1952.

Deceased.


Paul V. Grambsch

Class Year: 
1941

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1968

Paul Grambsch was dean of the University of Minnesota School of Business Administration. A native of Milwaukee, Grambsch was a 1941 North Central graduate. He went on to earn a master’s degree from the University of Mississippi in 1947 and received his Ph.D.  in 1955 from Indiana University. He served on North Central’s Board of Trustees from 1971-77. He also served as dean of the business school at Tulane University in New Orleans. Gambsch’s special fields of interest were management, industrial relations, economics and educational administration.

Deceased.


Merrill Gates

Class Year: 
1934

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1985

Merrill Gates served the public school system for 41 years, culminating his career as superintendent of DuPage County Schools from 1967 until his retirement in 1975. Prior to that appointment, he was assistant superintendent for 12 years, after serving as teacher, principal and curriculum coordinator. Among his many achievements were his roles in the start of a county film library, vocational education, co-op teacher training and the founding of College of DuPage.

Deceased.


Beatrice Givler Gates

Class Year: 
1932

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1985

Bea Gates served as an organist in local United Methodist churches for 33 years. She was employed by Kroehler Manufacturing Company in Naperville upon graduation from North Central. She was secretary to North Central Vice President Harvey Siemsen and edited the 1967 Alumni Directory. She remained active in numerous civic organizations and was a class representative.

Deceased.


Ruth N. Gamertsfelder

Class Year: 
1915

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1976

Ruth Gamertsfelder was employed at Naperville High School (now known as Naperville Central High School) from 1918 to 1958, teaching commercial mathematics and Latin, and later serving as dean of girls and librarian. During these years, she organized and sponsored the Girls’ League social service organization and instigated and guided the annual Latin class Roman Banquet. After her retirement from Naperville High School, Gamertsfelder served as curator of the Caroline Martin Mitchell Museum. Her other community involvement included work with the Naperville Woman’s Club, the Heritage Society, Edwards Hospital and Community United Methodist Church.

Deceased.


Carl C. Gamertsfelder

Class Year: 
1935

Outstanding Alumni Award Winner 1975

Carl Gamertsfelder was present at the launch of three of the world’s first four nuclear reactors. He later served as manager of nuclear safety and technologies in General Electric’s Missile and Space Division. Gamertsfelder was moved to the Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion Department of General Electric in 1952, serving as a consulting physicist. In 1961, he returned to the Hanford Laboratories as a consulting radiological scientist. Gamertsfelder was a member of numerous societies and was listed in “American Men of Science.” He wrote and published a number of technical papers and classified documents for the Atomic Energy Commission.

Deceased.


Syndicate content