North Central College - Naperville, IL

In Honor: The Max Lacewell & Brianna Sharp Memorial Scholarship

This is a story of coincidence, long odds, a rare disease, friendships, grief and the generous alumni who have channeled their emotions into helping support the educations of future physicians and medical researchers.

Creating Connections, Leaving a Legacy

A group of North Central students would like to thank the alumni who donate to fine arts, athletics, the Annual Fund and campus facilities.

So they are. Using pens, thank you notes and their own creativity, the Student Legacy Ambassadors have written more than 200 personal notes to College donors. They tell them about the activities they're involved with and how the donor helped their field of interest.

A Shared Mission

Business owners throughout the western suburbs generously support North Central College with donations of everything from restaurant meals to technology wiring and consulting, printing and photography. The bottom line: In-kind donations of goods and services surpass $360,000 annually. But beyond dollars, the College’s suppliers share a commitment to preparing young people for the future and gladly respond to tight deadlines, requests for visionary consulting—even the need to work on a holiday.

Give all the credit to the Boy Scouts

Finding the Class of ’51: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Leota Buss Ester’s goal is to personally deliver 60th reunion invitations to 120 class members in 28 states. Marcia Meyer ‘51 Hawkins (right) of Arlington Heights, IL, already has it on her calendar. Ester asks every classmate to sign the North Central banner.

Sesquicentennial Capital Campaign: The Legacy Project-Riverwalk Gateway Connecting the Community

One of the first projects of the campaign will focus resources on the Riverwalk Gateway, a landscaped pathway along the east bank of the West Branch of the DuPage River. The College announced plans to partner with the Naperville Riverwalk Commission and Naperville Riverwalk Foundation on the project, which will include volunteer help from the community.

Construction is scheduled to begin during summer 2011 on seating areas, brick pathways and brick pillars that designate the area as an entrance to the College.

Walkway improvements—chosen by the Class of 2002 as a class gift—extend from Jefferson Plaza north to Benton Avenue.

A second phase of the campus beautification project is designed to improve the appearance of the well-traveled path known as the pedestrian spine—an interior walkway between Brainard and Loomis streets that extends from just north of Chicago Avenue to School Street. The walkway connects the south end of the campus with the north end for walkers and bicyclists.

Dr. Isaac Einsel ’19: Generous Underwriter of Dr. Koten’s Laboratory

Among the many extraordinary North Central College teachers of science was Dr. Irvin A. Koten, professor of chemistry, whose active research lab gave dozens of chemistry, zoology and biology majors a head start in their quest for medical and graduate school admission.

The Legacy of Dr. Albert Goldspohn

As the flourishing young campus of North-Western College needed more space, President H. J. Kiekhoefer (1889-1910) pushed for the building of a new science hall. In his 1899-1900 report to the Board of Trustees, Kiekhoefer recognized the need for a “special building for the study of science.”

His appeals were first answered by the area church conferences, but by May 1903, only $1,438 had been raised. The science hall finally became a reality when Dr. Albert Goldspohn,

Enduring Gifts from Henry and Annie Merner Pfeiffer

In the spring of 1924, President Edward E. Rall visited Henry and Annie Merner Pfeiffer in New York to ask for a gift in support of a “new chapel.” Henry had strong connections to North Central, having studied for two years (1875-1877) on campus before returning to his hometown of Cedar Falls, IA, to become a retail druggist. Later, he and his brother Gustavus entered pharmaceutical manufacturing and then the cosmetics field. They established their headquarters in New York City.

Harold and Eva White Champions of Higher Education

The generosity of Harold ’35 and Eva Anderson ’35 White has touched nearly every aspect of campus during the past three decades, including international programs, forensics, music, education, the sciences and faculty development. Their legacy is an endowed professorship in the liberal arts, a building named in their honor and a First Citizen of the College Award presented at Commencement to someone who represents “the best” at North Central.

Syndicate content