Admitted International Students
Congratulations on your offer of admission!
In order to accept your offer, you will need to:
- Pay your tuition deposit ($100).
- Pay your housing deposit ($100) and submit your Housing Application (if you will live on campus).
Deposits can be paid by cash, check made out to North Central College, wire transfer or credit card via flywire, or credit card using the Credit Card Payment Authorization Form. Contact your admission counselor with any questions.
The 2016-2017 course schedule is available on Merlin. Download a 2016-2017 Freshman Registration Guide or Transfer Registration Guide for information about how to choose classes. Students entering in Winter (January) 2017 should complete and submit their 2016-2017 Course Request List as soon as possible to start the registration process! The 2017-2018 course schedule will be available in April 2017 for students entering in Fall (September) 2017.
Make arrangements to have your official final transcripts, including any current course work, sent to North Central before your first term at North Central begins. If you do not, a hold will be placed on your account preventing you from registering for future terms.
If you have submitted your housing deposit and completed Housing Application & Roommate Questionnaire, you will be notified of your placement in December (January starts) or July/August (Fall starts) once housing has been finalized. Contact your roommate/s! Getting in contact before you arrive helps make your first days on campus much easier! For detailed information about what to pack for arrival and check-in, meal plans, the residence hall calendar and more, check out a sample Housing Packet.
Think about what meal plan you will choose at orientation. All meal plans cost the same - but you can find information about the different options here.
Medical History and Immunization Records
Get any necessary immunizations and have your doctor complete your Immunization Form for North Central's Wellness Center. You will need your college ID number to complete the forms. Call the Wellness Center with any questions, +1-630-637-5550.
Note: Please be aware the State of Illinois has very specific immunization requirements as outlined in the medical forms. If these requirements are not met, you will not be able to register for your second term classes. Please contact Megan Otermat with any questions about these requirements. Although you can get missing immunizations after arriving at North Central, it is usually MUCH less expensive for you to get the required immunizations before you leave home.
Purchase required health insurance through HTH. The 2016-2017 brochure is available; the monthly rate through July 2017 will be $99.60. Click here to enroll. The 2017-2018 brochure and rates will be available in June 2017.
- Purchase insurance for all months you will be in the U.S. Use the address: North Central College, 30 North Brainard Street CM#276, Naperville, IL 60540. Blank fields asking for ID numbers can be left blank. Print and bring your receipt and medical card to orientation.
International student athletes who will be participating in intercollegiate sports will need to submit additional medical forms and purchase an additional insurance policy as well. Contact your coach for details. Let your admission counselor know if you are interested in participating in any athletics or other student activities on campus, so you can arrange to start practice or rehearsal on time. (The medical forms are updated each May/June for the following academic year and can be found on the Athletic Training page under Student Athlete Information.)
Arrival and Airport Pick-Up
Arrange for your flight to arrive at Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) on
Thursday, December 29, 2016 for Winter (January 2017) Entry or
Thursday, August 31, 2017 for Fall (September) Entry
and provide your Admission Counselor with your flight details no later than Friday, December 16, 2016 (Winter) or Friday, August 25, 2017 (Fall), so that the Office of International Programs staff can meet you at the airport and bring you to campus (students who will be living on-campus).
Students arriving on other dates will need to arrange their own transportation to campus. Please be aware that F-1 visa regulations do not allow for arrival in the U.S. more than 30 days prior to their program start date. This means that:
- students arriving in the U.S. to start orientation on December 30, 2016 cannot enter the U.S. in F-1 status before Wednesday, November 30, 2016 and
- students arriving in the U.S. to start orientation on September 1, 2017 cannot enter the U.S. in F-1 status until Wednesday, August 2, 2017.
Please be sure to book your flights to allow at least three (3) hours between connecting flights if your first entry to the U.S. will be at an airport other than Chicago O'Hare. (An example of this would be if you were to fly into Miami or Los Angeles to change planes before flying to Chicago.) You will have to go through immigration and customs when you first land in the U.S. Allowing less than three hours between flights could mean that you miss your connecting flight in the case of delays going through immigration.
Paying Tuition and Fees
Consider how you plan to pay your first term tuition. Your electronic invoice will be available to you in your Merlin account; as part of our efforts to be environmentally friendly, North Central does not issue paper invoices. North Central has partnered with flywire to offer convenient international payment options for students with non-U.S. bank accounts.
Applying for an F-1 Student Visa
If you will need an F-1 student visa to study at North Central, please submit the following as soon as possible to ensure an I-20 form (Visa Eligibility Document) can be issued:
- A color copy of your passport identification page.
- Documentation of sufficient financial resources. This includes:
- A completed and signed Declaration of Finances & Affidavit of Support (the 2017-2018 form will be available in December 2016) and
- A Bank Letter for each sponsor that includes an original signature on bank letterhead with the bank's contact information. It must be dated within nine months of your program start date and include the name of the account holder and the amount in the account. It must also specify the type of account (e.g., savings, checking, time deposit, etc.) and the currency of the account. Please be sure the amount in the account is at least equal to the amount pledged to the student by the sponsor, and that the account is in the sponsor's name. North Central accepts original letters or color scans of original letters. For a sample bank letter format, click here.
- A Transfer Verification Form and copies of your current I-20 form and I-94 record, if you are currently in the U.S. in F-1 status.
Welcome Week and International Student Orientation
International Student Orientation is required of all international students who are new to North Central. It is scheduled to start on:
Friday, December 30, 2016 (Winter) or
Friday, September 1, 2017 (Fall).
During Orientation, you will have the chance to get your student ID, tour campus, meet with your faculty advisor, open a bank account, visit a local store (to purchase items you just couldn't fit into your suitcase), participate in social events, and much more. In the weeks prior to arrival, you will receive more information about what the Office of International Programs has prepared for you.
Please note that international student orientation is required for all new international students - even those who have attended another U.S. institution in the past.
Students starting in Winter 2017 should plan to be on campus all day on Friday, December 30th and will have optional activities December 31st through January 2nd.
Students starting in Fall 2017 should plan to be on campus on Friday, September 1st through Friday, September 8th. (Weekend events scheduled for September 9th-10th are optional - but most students choose to participate in these as well).