A student who receives a Note-Taking Accommodation should visit the Academic Support Center and receive a Note-Taker Accommodation card.
In order to obtain a note-taker for each class, please choose one of the following:
- Ask a student in class to volunteer and provide him/her with the Note-Taker Accommodation card.
- Ask the professor to read the card in class to obtain a note-taker (there is a scripted statement on the card).
If a student is not able to secure a note-taker through the above two options, he/she should contact the Academic Support Center.
The note-taker must register with the Academic Support Center in order to be considered a note-taker. Please ask them to bring the Note-Taker Accommodation card to the Academic Support Center to register.
Receiving a Note-Taking Accommodation does not mean an accommodated student is exempt from taking notes.
- A student who works with a note-taker is still required to take notes in class unless the disability precludes it. Utilizing a note-taker provides access to additional notes enabling a student to fill in missing information.
- Students who receive a note-taking accommodation must attend class in order to receive note-taking services. Exceptions are made when absences are due to an emergency. Note-takers are not required to take notes for students choosing to be absent from class. If a student is absent more than twice in a term, the note-taker will bring his/her notes to the Academic Support Center. The note-taker is not made available so a student may be absent from class.
- In order to retrieve notes due to unexcused absences, the student must schedule an appointment in the Academic Support Center. At that time, an Academic Support Center staff member will discuss attendance habits and reserves the right to suspend the note-taking accommodation. The Academic Support Center should be contacted by any student who will be absent for a significant amount of time. This allows the Academic Support Center to notify the note-taker about the absences and approve continued note-taking services when appropriate.
- It is the student's and the note-taker's responsibility to arrange how the notes will be transferred. If a student has difficulty retrieving notes, please contact the Academic Support Center.
- It is optimal that notes be provided to the student on the day the class occurred.