In order to receive accommodations in a timely manner, it is important to follow the established procedures set forth by the Academic Support Center. By complying with these procedures, the Academic Support Center is able to fulfill your requests in a timely fashion. Below is a description of ways to speak to your professors regarding your accommodations. On the pages linked to this site are the procedures for obtaining specific accommodations.
COMMUNICATING YOUR DISABILITY TO YOUR PROFESSORS
Professors at North Central College are committed to helping students achieve academic excellence. Therefore, it is important for you and your professor to have a discussion about your disability. It is recommended that you set up a meeting with your professor during the first week of classes. This meeting can occur during the professor’s office hours or you can arrange an individual appointment at another time.
What should occur in your meeting with a professor:
- Name the disability for which you are receiving accommodations
- If you are not comfortable discussing the disability, please discuss what strengths and challenges you possess
- Explain how your disability affects you in the classroom
- Explain how your disability affects your taking tests
- Discuss the accommodations you will be using and how they will aid you in this particular course
- Refer to the Academic Support Center when the professor has questions
You have the right to decide what will be shared in regards to your disability and what should not be discussed. Communicating with your professor helps you achieve a higher level of academic success. Lack of communication with your professor may lead to perceptions that are not accurate. If you need assistance in preparing for this conversation, please contact the Academic Support Center.