At WONC-89.1 FM, North Central College’s student-run radio station, you can pursue careers in both on-air and behind-the-scene roles in broadcast communication. You’ll start gaining experience on your first day of classes, which sets us apart from many other college radio stations where you must wait until your junior or senior year to be directly involved with station operations.
Since signing on the air nearly half a century ago, WONC has received numerous local, state, regional and national recognitions, including 20 Marconi College Radio Awards. No college or university radio station in the country has won more, making it a highly reputable experience for students pursuing future careers in broadcast communication.
WONC features a blended format of alternative and classic rock music. Newscasts, traffic and weather reports, as well as various North Central and select high school sportscasts, are delivered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by North Central students.
At WONC you can:
- Work with cutting-edge technologies in three state-of-the-art stereo studios
- Operate AudioVAULT broadcasting automation software
- Rewrite news stories fed from The Associated Press
- Host a talk or music show
- Announce play-by-play coverage or broadcast sports talk
- Mix music tracks with Adobe Audition, the industry’s top-rated editing software
- Edit traffic reports from Metro Networks
- Produce promos for station programming and Public Service Announcements
- Promote the station within the community and on the web
- Connect with great internships and jobs in the Joliet, Aurora, Naperville and Chicago markets