Extra-curricular and professional activities that will enrich your English studies
- Work closely with the Career Development Center and department faculty to find internships in writing, teaching, reporting and other skills related to English. You may earn credit and may also be paid. Our English majors have worked for publishing houses, not-for profit organizations like the DuPage Forest Preserve and the American Soccer Association, and large corporations like UPS.
- Apply for Richter Independent Study Fellowships and other grants the College awards for travel. Our students have gone all over the United States and the world to conduct special research on everything from a particular author (Stephen King, for example) to the unique features of Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles.
- Study abroad through our popular programs in Costa Rica, London and Asia.
- Become a member of Sigma Tau Delta, an international English honor society. One of the largest members of the Association of College Honor Societies, Sigma Tau Delta has over 600 active chapters. Sigma Tau Delta's central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies. Sigma Tau Delta also recognizes the accomplishments of professional writers who have contributed to the fields of language and literature.
- Become involved as writers, artists, readers and production coordinators of the department’s three publications:
|The NCC Underground seeks to create a culture of artistic expression on campus by providing a venue for students and faculty to share their works in a judgment-free environment with a laid-back atmosphere. The February 2012 Underground featured English professor Jennifer Jackson reading a selection of ironic takes on love by famous authors.|
|The Underground takes place every month in the basement of the Boilerhouse Cafe. It is open to all who wish to participate and share their creative works or just come and enjoy the company of other artists and fellow students. Students are encouraged to bring and share their writing, comedy, instruments or just show up, unwind with friends and enjoy the poetry and pizza!|
Sigma Tau Delta
The Department of English is proud to host a thriving chapter of the international honor society, Sigma Tau Delta. Our members take an active role in organizing social activities for the department --hosting bake sales, book drives, poetry readings, film screenings, and themed dinners. Please contact faculty advisors, Dee Anna Phares (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Sohinee Roy (email@example.com) for more information.